Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Wednesday, February 4th

I had the wonderful honor of wearing the Math-a-Thon cape today.  My homeroom was the top class in the WHOLE school!  Our point goal exceeded the second place class by almost 3,000 points.  I'm so proud of them and their hard work.

During class today students worked on their informational papers.  Many finished their rough drafts in class and are prepared to do peer reviews tomorrow.  During social studies we continued the "End of the Great Depression" lesson and discussed Eleanor Roosevelt's role during the Great Depression.  We concluded our day by reading Messenger.
Today is World Cancer Day and February also happens to be my own remission anniversary.  I have been cancer free for 12 years now and I'm thankful that students take time to raise money each year for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.  Both of these cancers disproportionally affect young people, and I myself was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Disease (a type of lymphoma) when I was 22.  Several students from both classes have already brought in money, so they're doing a great job!

No comments:

Post a Comment