Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Tuesday & Wednesday

ELA -- On Tuesday students continued to work on the narratives and today I distributed the rubric.  I extended the deadline to Friday since I could tell some students needed an extra day to finish.  Students also began working on this term's UOI summative performance task.  We began by brainstorming possible topics, discussing possible ways to organize our writing, and agreeing to peer review guidelines.  Once we discussed what was expected students began.  They'll have 120 minutes total to complete the task.  Although it's preferable to have to 60-minute blocks, we have several interruptions in the schedule so I spread the writing out over three days.  

On Friday I'll be assessing the students on making inferences in fiction and non-fiction texts.  It's a short, 8-question, open book assessment and students have been working on finding evidence and making inferences for the past several weeks.  

SS -- By Friday students will finish their 3-D Underground Railroad maps.  In upcoming terms I'll be using these maps to collect a geography grade.  For this term I just wanted students to familiarize themselves with the assembly and accompanying readings.

During music, students practiced the process of song writing and Mr. Brooks led a discussion about the historical origins of how enslaved people used Blues and spirituals to create order and community within an oppressive world.
Our first Village Gathering will happen THIS Friday at 8:40am in the multi-purpose room.  This one will be EXTRA special because OUR homerooms are leading it!  Students practiced today and they're excited to be the first classes to start this new F.AVE tradition.  Parents are welcome so please come by.  The 4th grade gathering will take place at 8:00am so please be mindful of our limited parking.

Lastly, during the weeks Ms. McFaddin and I have back-to-back parent conferences and additional meetings (she and I are both on the School Leadership Team), I may not be able to do a nightly blog post.  I will do my best to combine days if I miss a day during the week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment