Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Basic Math Facts

It is quite obvious that most students do not know their basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division facts.  Students should already know these facts and if they do not learn them quickly they will be at a disadvantage.  Furthermore, they will not be able to successfully progress in math if they don't have these basic skills.  I don't want my students to be frustrated with math or hindered by an issue that can be easily solved with  as little as 10 minutes of practice at home.  And I KNOW that current trends in education encourage teachers to shy away from rote memorization; however, I feel like many of the traditional methods are necessary in math.
Moving forward I want every family to buy their child a sets of flashcards and/or work on their facts with one of the many online resources.  I will add links to some helpful websites on the sidebar; however, feel free to use whatever works best for your child.

Beginning next term I'm going to start doing fact quizzes to make sure students are held accountable for learning these facts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment