Monday, October 7, 2013

Monday, October 7th

ELA -- Ms. Smith started the lessons on opinion writing.  Students will practice making logical and effective arguments this week and on Thursday the will get the rubric and guidelines for this term's summative essay.

Social Studies -- We continued working on our Civil War people worksheet.  I let students vote on one for me to model so I could show what information is necessary to complete their study guides.  Some students were writing down the wrong information and others were writing too much so many of them needed clarification.

comments about class discussions
Students in both classes have been asking some interesting and sometimes provocative questions during our Social Studies lessons.  While students worked on their maps this past Friday I took the opportunity to answer the following questions with both classes:
I remind the students that History is not like Math... there's no right answer or perspective.  I try to address issues from multiple viewpoints and help students understand why people made certain decisions in the past.  I also encourage students to share their opinions and when I'm asked to share mine, I always present the evidence I encountered that led to me forming that opinion.  As always, please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about what we have covered in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment