Monday, January 21, 2013

Term 4 Assessment Comments

This term I've structured the lessons, assessments, and projects a little differently.  I've done this for several reasons, including:

1.  Students didn't do as well on the multi-page, multi-format assessments that I did not write and that all teachers had to give last term.

2.  As a whole class, Reading MAP scores fell below where they needed to be (only 30% of my students met their Reading MAP growth target).  In short, more than half of my students have difficulty comprehending what they've read.

3.   Some students have not used project time wisely and/or their projects don't show the required depth of knowledge.

I've focused more on direct instruction and reading comprehension during the first part of the term and assessments will begin this week.  The assessments will be shorter with fewer formats.  I will not have students taking 6 page assessments with multiple choice, matching, fill-in-the-blank, short answer, and essay questions.  

Students who earn 3's on these assessments will be given projects where they can explore the applicable standards in depth and earn 4's. Students who earn 1s and 2s will receive more direct instruction, time to comprehend this term's material and the opportunity to retake the assessments.

No comments:

Post a Comment